Photo: Fundación Albatros
Introducing the ecological restoration process of mangroves in 'El Playón,' Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, using the strategy outlined in the 'Manual for Ecological Restoration of Mangroves' by SAM and the Greater Caribbean.
Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, Quintana Roo.
- It was designated as a reserve in the year 1986.
- A UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Part of the RAMSAR list of wetlands
- Encompasses an approximate area of 528,000 hectares
- A success story in species conservation and mangrove restoration
- A 'chaparro' type mangrove